2007年10月6日土曜日

SKOSHI, DANSU WO SHINAI?!?!?!

Good Afternoon Western World,

I may have found my niche, settled in an appropriate location, secured my equilibrium. Classes are in full swing and I can feel it. It's nice though, after an almost five month summer, which I might add was the dopest (what up Chloe?). I wanted to mention something Interesting that I saw in my Japanese Culture class yesterday afternoon (Friday the 5th). My professor Noah, a half Japanese, half Australian expert on modern (ie. post 1868) Japnese history, showed us a very intriguing and synically hilarious 1944 war time film produce by Frank Capra in coordination with the Information and Education Division of the American Army Service Forces. The film's title, "Know Your Enemy: Japan", hints to the films funtions and intentions of educating the young American soldiers of WWII. Ironically, the film is beautifully shot and displays many aspects of the multi-faceted culture of early 20th century Japan. However, the narration contorts the meaning of the images to a degree that overwhelms any other possible interpretations, at least at that point in time it did . . . that was the point. Either way, if any of you were wondering if you come to Japan expect the Japanese to be 5 feet 3 inches, 115 pounds, eating rice for evey meal (sometimes with fish or meat and loves to do so), to be decendeants of a common ancestor (the Sun), to worship the almighty Emperor, and most importantly, to have liquid Sun racing through their veins. The five part video series is available on youtube, that's where the professor got it, duh.

My ears are still ringing from last night. Yes, Japanese clubs play music just as loud as they do in American dance joints.

Last night may or may not have been my first and last night of clubbing in Kyoto, who knows, really. The night went off without a hitch and I have few things to complain about. Here's how it went down:

I made a quick dinner of boiled broccoli, cucumbers, and mushrooms over some hot, white, sticky rice. After havig a rice-cooker in my room at the fraternity house last year I believe I have mastered the art of the simple, yet easily tarnished, bowl of sticky rice. Either way, that's what I had for dinner

0 件のコメント: