2007年12月15日土曜日

It's Fun, It's Interesting, It's the Three Month Mark . . .

Good Evening Family, Friends, and fellow Readers

When the clock strikes 1200 tonight I will have officially and successfully spent three solid months in Kyoto, Japan. I was thinking about this today coming back from the super market just a second ago. As I looked momentarily at the waxing gibbous moon (Zach, you feel me?), it occurred to me that when one can refer to one's existence in a certain area in terms of moons that duration of time has become substantial-this is a little abstract, but stick with me. Take my boy Zach for instance. Since the warm month of May, he has been in China-roughly four moons in WeiFang in the ShanDong province and another four in Beijing-working for an English teaching company. This coming Friday Zach, now that nearly eight moons have waxed and waned, will be pack his bags and head home to good old Seattle. I myself have witnessed three such moons, but full they were.

On another note, one of my good friends Azusa just received some excellent news after an interview with the Japanese embassy. Azusa was offered a job at the Japanese embassy in New Delhi, India. As of now, I am not entirely sure of what specific responsibilities she will be holding, but we are all very excited for her. As a token of our appreciation we held a celebratory dinner at a restaurant near Ritsumeikan (my school). A majority of our party were fluent in Japanese, so the experience was sort of an extension of the day's previous Japanese lecture. I chimed in as much as I could and understood the flow of conversation with some ease. Yet, that particular dinner evoked an awareness of my goal, that is to be able to speak Japanese without thinking, to resurface. In the first chapter of my language textbook there was a series of standard questions regarding the way in which a student of Japanese (or any language for that matter) should go about studying. The most thought provoking suggestion was one that urged all students of a foreign language to study with purpose and intention. My specific intention being to, without thought, speak Japanese, express my character and opinion, and most of all connect with a wider range of people and cultures. That process has certainly started and I remain intent on solidifying the skills that will ensure my ability to reach out, be heard, find understanding, and in turn be understood. After dinner, we pooled our pocket change and went to a KONBINI (convenient store) and bought all the beer, crackers, and cookies that we possibly could.


The Crew

In a few words, Koreans know where it's at. Instead of beer pong, flip cup, and chugging contests, the Korean girls in my dorm bring party activities involving alcohol consumption (drinking games) to a new, more group oriented level, while at the same time keeping it safe and far from the often committed folly of what my Mom loves to refer to as "binge drinking". The name of the game is "The Game of Death" and I swear it involves a very low consumption of alcohol, especially since our shot glasses are minute compared to that of the US of A. First there is a song: "Shin nanda, chiemi nanda, za gemu ov deSU!" (Korean); "Tanoshii, omoshiroi, za gemu obu deSU!" (Japanese); "It fun, it's interesting, it's the game of DEATH!" (Engrish). On the word DEATH/DESU each participant point at any person sitting around the table; who ever has been deemed "IT" chooses a number; the number coincides with for how many people the finger point path will proceed. For example if my family were playing The Game of Death and I was it, said three and was pointing at my father, who was pointing at my mother, who was pointing at my sister, my sister-being the third person down the so-called finger pointing path-would have to take little itty bitty shot. Fun ensued.

Shout out to Uncle Jonathan and Marsh, for they are the first Uncles to join the Facebook network. Nice guys. Shavua Tov to all in the Eastern hemisphere and to those in the occident, Shabbat Shalom.

Until Next Time.

0 件のコメント: