2007年9月22日土曜日

Bathing is Essential

Konbanwa and Good Evening,

I hope everyone had as easy a fast as I did today. Kyoto was a blazing 34 centigrate today, around 94 degrees in the western world, so I stayed in most of the day contemplating my life and position in the Judaeo-scientific cosmos.

The Study in Kyoto Programme officially began this friday when our buddies (students of Ritsumeikan) put on a Welcome Ceremony in the centre of campus. We were addressed by the President of International Affairs with a heart warming speech about how our position at Rits is very essential and complementary to the insitution as a whole. It seems as though Ritsumeikan is very proud of its international composition just as much as UBC, it's nice to be in such an environment.

My bike (pictured top-left) has been treating me very well and has made Kyoto a much more accessible city. I recently made a trip to the grocery store (finally) which took a matter of minutes by bike. When I arrived at the grocery store a huge group of young children swarmed past me looking up in awe. They kept asking me, with there limited English, "Nice to meet you . . . How are you?" I gave them simple anwers in Japanese only to receive muffled laughter and even more stares, really cute stares. The girls seemed much more shy than the talkative boys.

On another note, we still haven't registered for courses yet and frankly, no matter how odd it may sound, I am beginning to feel the need to be busy again. This has been by far the longest summer I have ever had. My last day of school in Vancouver was the 29th of April, which makes almost five months of summer time. The living was easy this summer, but I think I am ready for some action, especially some obligatory, rigorous Japanese study time.

Last night a friend of mine from the dorm Bjourn and I decided to make use of the Ofuro (Japanese shower/bath combo room). Here's the routine: start to fill up the bath, get naked, grab a bucket, flip it over, sit down, grab a wash basin, turn on the water, soap and shampoo yourself thoroughly, talk to your intelligent Swedish friend about travelling, then go into the bath, relax, space out, shut up, think, get out, wash again, cold water this time, feels better that way, talk about life, get back in the hot bath, deep breathes, relax, dunk fully, and be reborn. The Ofuro was a fabulous was to start Yom Kippur, honestly.

I had a lot of time to think to myself today, about this past year and how I might go about getting my name sealed into the book of life. No solid conclusion was reached, but I feel that anyone, with the right intentions, or any intention at all, can attain any level of spiritual existence through the simple act of thinking about it.

Until next time. Gemar chatima tova l'kulam, may all of your names be sealed in the book of life, Jews and goyim alike, I love and miss you all and am thinking of you constantly.

p.s. Shout-outs start next week, so stay tuned.
p.p.s. Yeah, those carrots are life size and so delicious.


0 件のコメント: