2007年9月25日火曜日

Koreans: They put the "K" in "Kings of Partying"

Good Evening to ALL

Last weekend was quite eventful in terms of harnessing some healthy group dynamics in my dorm. Needless to say it was a potluck dinner that brought us all together.

So what did I make? Google has millions of recipes that cater to the tastes of billions of people all across the world, I found the one that 30 international students ended up loving-this goes without mentioning the trials and tribulations I went through to get my beautiful bowl of rice pudding on the serving table in our downstairs lounge. I have been told, by one person, that "Asians" don't like, no, hate sweet rice. Ok, so I had a tough crowd to deal with, whatever right?

At 1900 hours on the dot (that's 7:00 pm to the US of A) people came pouring into the lounge with oven baked pizzas, veggie platters, sweet and condenced milk donuts, chicken and cabbage stew, and the like. I proudly put my rice pudding on the table and you couldn't guess what happened next. There were some Koreans who were giving me trouble about cooking top ramen the other night and as one of them bent over the bowl of rice pudding on the night of the potlcuk, she turned to me and asked in Japanese, "NANIKA?" (what's this?) I responded as articulately as I could, "RAISU PURINDESU." (rice pudding) The Korean (Hyo-san) jumped back, as if I had told her, " Rice pudding . . . with a king cobra garnish on the bottom." Maybe Asians don't like sweet rice.

The party lived on. I put Sgt. Pepper's on the speakers and the whisky, sake (in a huge carton), plum wine (also in a huge carton), and beer began to flow. This is when the Koreans began to show their true, yet still beautiful, faces. They had everyone doing these hilarious hand motions before drinking and of course there was a song to along with the choreography. I got some exclusive footage, so if anyone is interesed, holler. To say the least, it was a glorious night of international bonding-when was teh last time the UN had a potluck dinner? Hm.

Today was the last day of orientation, during which we recieved our Japanese language placement results and our course selections for the ensuing term. To my delight, I was placed in the C level class; Japanese classes range from A (Advanced) to E (eeeeh, what'd you say?). So I think I am in the appropriate class. Additionaly, I was very pleased with the other classes available for registration. I have selected three courses that suit my Anthropological direction of study: United States and Japanese Relations, Japanese Culture, and the ringer, Comparative Historiography. I am most interested in Comparative Historiography even after reading only the limited course description and primary source, "Censoring History: Citizenship and Memory in Japan, Germany, and the United States", by Laura Hein and Mark Selden.

Japanese class starts tomorrow everybody, so bring your pencils and erasers. GAMBARIMASU (I'll do my best). And as i promised shout-outs start this week: a big shout-out to Chloe, Gramma, Mom, and Dad, with out you guys, I wouldn't be where I am, which is somewhere I ahve always wanted to be, THANK YOU and LOVE YOU.


0 件のコメント: